Double Hung Windows
Double hung windows, renowned for their classic design and versatility, have long been a favorite among homeowners in Chicago. Featuring two sashes that can be slid up and down within the frame, these windows offer both style and practicality. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore the world of double hung windows, including the unique twin double hung windows. We'll also provide step-by-step instructions on how to open these windows effectively, all while keeping in mind the specific needs of Chicago residents.
Double Hung Windows Customization Options
Our paint has been specially designed for vinyl windows and engineered for maximum durability and heat reflection:
- Non-toxic, non-hazardous, non-flammable, environmentally friendly, lead- and chromium-free;
- Has excellent cohesion to the vinyl. It is elastic and moves with the vinyl as it expands and contracts. Also, the paint has exceptional abrasion and impact resistance.
- Ensures both long-term color retention and low heat absorption.
The laminate films endure a series of rigorous tests performed within the Grafco laboratory. These tests include heat reflectivity, Delta E (fade factor), distortion and adhesion, allowing us to offer a lifetime warranty.
Some of the Custom Color Options
Insulated Glass Units
Double- and Tripple-pane Glass Units
Our window and door products feature insulated glass units (IGU) with dual or triple pane combinations.
Thickness ranges from 0.708" to 1.417" (18-36 mm) depending on the product. Glass panes are available in various thicknesses and types.
Coated glass, tints, and patterns are available for double and triple pane units. NEAT® coating on the exterior surface allows for easy cleaning.
The energy-efficient spacer systems used are stainless steel INTERCEPT UltraSpacer®, Endur, and organic SuperSpacer®. The spaces between the glass can be filled with dry air, argon, or a mix of argon/krypton gases.
All glass units meet industry standards and undergo frequent electronic quality checks. IGUs have a 20-year warranty for seal failures, the highest standard in the industry.
LoĒ-270 Coated Glass
LoĒ coated glass delivers year-round comfort in any weather. In summer, it rejects the sun’s heat and damaging UV rays. In winter, it reflects heat back into the room.
LoĒ-366 Coated Glass
LoĒ-366 is a clear coating that blocks even more solar gain, reflects heat, and lets the light stream in. It even outperforms the tinted glass often used in warm climates.
Annealed glass, commonly known as the standard glass, undergoes a thermal treatment process followed by slow cooling to eliminate internal stresses. It is commonly utilized in applications where safety considerations are not a primary concern.
Fully tempered glass
Fully tempered glass is significantly stronger than annealed glass, with a strength four times greater. In the event of breakage, it shatters into small, safe pieces, minimizing the risk of injury.
Heat Treated Glass
Heat-strengthened glass undergoes a slower cooling process compared to tempered glass, resulting in a lower compression strength. However, it still provides approximately twice the strength of annealed glass.
Laminated glass can withstand strong impacts. It is a superior solution to safety glazing.
Laminated glass does more: it is the type of safety glazing that also remains intact within the window frame.
Unlike regular exterior window surfaces, Neat glass requires minimal maintenance. With Neat technology, the glass stays cleaner for longer periods. And when the time comes to clean, you'll find it quick and effortless.
Decorative grids or blinds can be added and are sealed within the glass units.
Understanding Double Hung Windows
Double hung windows are named for their two operable sashes that can move independently within the window frame. This distinctive feature allows for various ventilation options and is well-suited to both traditional and contemporary architectural styles.
Twin Double Hung Windows
Twin double hung windows are essentially two double hung windows installed side by side. Here's why they are an attractive option:
- Expansive Views: Twin double hung windows provide a wide expanse of glass, allowing for exceptional outdoor views and abundant natural light.
- Enhanced Ventilation: With twice the number of operable sashes, twin double hung windows offer excellent control over airflow, making them ideal for rooms where fresh air circulation is crucial.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Their symmetrical design adds a touch of elegance to any home, making them a popular choice for both traditional and modern residences.
How to Open Double Hung Windows
Opening double hung windows is a straightforward process:
- Unlock the Sash: Locate the lock mechanism on the meeting rail, which is the horizontal bar where the two sashes meet. Unlock the sash by turning or pushing the lock, depending on the window's design.
- Lift or Lower: To open the bottom sash, grasp it with both hands and push upward. Conversely, push downward to open the top sash. Use even pressure on both sides to ensure smooth operation.
- Adjust for Ventilation: You can control the amount of ventilation by partially opening either the top or bottom sash. Experiment to find the perfect balance of airflow and security.
- Close and Lock: When you're done, reverse the process. Lower the sash and engage the lock to secure the window.
Double Hung Windows in Chicago
Double hung windows are particularly well-suited to the Chicago climate and architectural styles. Here's why they are a popular choice:
- Versatile Ventilation: In a city with diverse weather patterns, the ability to control airflow through double hung windows is highly valuable. You can adapt to changing temperatures with ease.
- Classic Aesthetic: Double hung windows complement Chicago's historic homes and blend seamlessly with more modern architectural designs.
- Easy Maintenance: The tilt-in feature of many double hung windows simplifies cleaning, allowing you to access both sides of the glass without stepping outside.
Double hung windows, including the elegant twin double hung windows, are a timeless choice for Chicago homeowners. Their versatile design, easy operation, and adaptability to the city's climate and architectural styles make them an ideal window option. When considering double hung windows, consult with a reputable window professional to explore the customization possibilities for your Chicago home. With the right double hung windows, you can enjoy enhanced comfort, ventilation, and aesthetic appeal in your living spaces.